9.10.2007

What do you do with...

I have that song what do you do with a drunken sailor running through my head. Because I have to figure out what to do with the 4 pounds of sunburst squash I apparently ordered from our Organic Produce Delivery service. I don't remember ordering that much, but it is here, so here we go.

So what do you do with 4 pounds of squash? My New Mexico-raised hubby immediately suggested squash and green chile casserole. Which involves a lot of cheese and crushed crackers, and too many calories. To keep calories down I'm going to try something else. I'll post the recipe tomorrow. Our grocery store also had a BOGO on eggs, so I made mini quiches for our lunches. Crustless, of course. The recipe is delish! It worked out to be 24 mini quiches - I imagine one could eat 2 per meal. Today I had just one with a side salad, and it was pretty good in the satisfaction department. Also, I made so many because they freeze beautifully, then you can pop them in the oven, or thaw and nuke in the microwave. 113 calories each!

Crustless MIni Quiches - 113 calories per mini quiche.

8 Large Eggs

32 oz. Part Skim Ricotta

4 oz. Feta cheese

2 TBS Olive Oil

1 medium yellow onion, diced

4 cloves garlic, minced

4 Sunburst squash, diced

8 oz. sliced crimini or button mushrooms

2 TBS freshly ground black pepper

2 tsp salt

1 TBS thyme

16 oz. Frozen chopped spinach, drained and squeeze dry

4 roasted red peppers, chopped (you could use fresh too)

1 large bunch fresh basil, chopped (or 1 TBS, dried)

24 slices of tomato (optional)

Heat the oven to 450 degrees, and grease the muffin tins, or line with papers.

1. Heat olive oil in saute pan, add onions and saute for 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, and if they are really large, I like to break them up with my wooden spoon or spatula. Add squash and garlic, and continue to saute about 5 minutes, until soft. Add salt, pepper and thyme.

2. In the largest bowl you have, beat the eight eggs until fluffy. Fold in cheeses.

3. Fold in spinach

4. Add veggie saute, and red peppers and basil

5. Divide mixture into your muffin tins.

6. Add sliced tomatoes on top, if using

Bake for 25 minutes, testing with a toothpick - if it comes out clean, we're done.

I stole the best idea ever from the Barefoot Contessa - to fill muffin tins when you're making cupcakes, muffins or quiches, use an ice cream scooper with a release arm. It is the perfect amount of batter to fill the cups. And you don't have to worry about dribbling all over the place. Brilliant! When I made this this weekend, I was testing out my new silicone muffin tin, that you really don't have to grease, but then also used my regular non-stick pan, and forgot to grease. Luckily everyone came out okay, but take it from me, don't be a hero. Grease your pans.

No comments: