- Pour hot water over your sundried tomatoes just enough to cover them, and soften. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, fill a large bowl with ice cubes and water to make a water bath. (More ice than water). Set aside.
- When the water is boiling, add the broccoli raab, stir and boil for about 4 minutes. Drain, and plunge into the ice water to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
- Bring another large pot of water to a boil - keep hot until you are ready to cook the penne.
- In a large skillet, squeeze the sausage out of its casings into the skillet over medium heat. This will brown quickly, and not leave a lot of fat. Remove from pan, set aside.
- Add olive oil to the hot pan, and saute the onion and shallots until they brown a little - about 5 minutes.
- Add the penne to the boiling water, cook until al dente, about 7 minutes
- Add artichokes, roasted peppers, broccoli raab, drained tomatoes and sausage to the pan, heating through, for about 4 minutes. There is a lot of water in the veggies, so I like to let them sweat out their liquid.
- When everyone is sweated out, add the garlic, thyme, basil and oregano.
- Stir in the penne, and sprinkle with parmesan.
DELISH! This seems sort of labor intensive, but it really is just a lot of ingredients. I think it would be good with just the sausage and greens, but I love artichokes and sundried tomatoes together too. It is sooo good - I have yet to work out the nutritional information, so I am entering it on FitDay as pasta with meat sauce, about .5 per serving, just because even though I heap 1 cup, it is more veggies than meat, and I have to find a way to represent that in FitDay.
Here's what it looks like when finished: Happy Eating!