8.21.2008

Half-cracked?

I have a confession. I have succumbed to a weight-loss self-help book. I know, I know. I am so anti-DIET. Low-carb, no-carb, low-fat, no white food, cabbage soup, or pre-packaged meals - anything that is guarantees success, but isn't sustainable in the real world, is bad news bears to me. I can't eat one way for 6 months and then go back to eating another way, because I am a slow learner, and will throw my restricted calories out the window to make room for the pizza. So far, I have been determined to do it my way. Eating what I want (and sometimes saying no, even when I want to say yes), exercising, and finding support online. BUT. Two years later, and I'm stuck. I'm strong, I'm fiber-licious, full of vitamins, but also stuck.

Crack the Fat-Loss Code is designed to break plateaus in 8 weeks. (Cracking the code? This just screams late night infomercial!) And look at that, I have 8 weeks on my hands! There are menu plans somewhere near the end. Until I get to that point in the book, I've been reading about how my body needs protein and fat and carbs to live and function, blah, blah, blah. I am the worst person to read a self-help book. I learn in an aural style much better - however I am determined to understand this program. I'm cracking the code! I'm going to lose fat, I just know it! There are testimonials every 10 pages (okay, I've only read like 20 pages - but still, that's 2 testimonials already!) So it must really work, right? I hope I have not just jumped the track into diet crazytown. I don't mean any disrespect, CTFLC, I'm just a big old cynical girl, who needs your help. I admit I do feel comfortable since there are menu plans that I can cook for myself. I did have the good sense to check it out from the library - so I can just turn right around and drop it back off if it turns out to be a bunch of hooey.

Also at the library? Cookbooks! One can check them out, commit a few good ones to memory, (never photocopy, of course) and then return it. Brilliant! I work 2 blocks from the biggest and most beautiful library in Seattle, and I never go there. Shameful! That's all about to change.

So - here goes nothing! A weekend of cooking big (or healthfully portioned, I mean) healthy meals, exercising and cracking the code.

2 comments:

Amy S. said...

I have been plateaued for eight months and feel your pain. Especially when you have come so far. Let us know how it goes! I'm where you were a month ago, getting ready to schedule an appointment with a dietician who will tell me I don't need to be there, give me some suggestions and send me along. Where do we go from here?

Heather said...

sounds interesting! you will have to post some of the things that you learn because I know I could definitely learn some tricks to beat a plateau!