8.25.2009

Home again!

I would rather gather with family for a wedding than a funeral, but it is still wonderful to be welcomed. I don't see my husband's family very often, but when I do, they are some of the warmest people I have ever met. All of my husband's siblings and cousins shared their memories of spending summers at Papaw and Mamaw's ranch, and the trouble they would get into, and I had forgotten what a talented painter she was - her artwork is everywhere in my mother in law's home. In the understatement department, funerals are sad. It was a lovely/sad/weepy/uplifting all at once service, with a 90-something year old reverend who led the sermon so eloquently and with comfort, her nephew played she and her husband's favorite songs on the violin, and then we all went to the cemetery, where the wind kicked up a dust storm so violent that all the women were having to hold their skirts down. We then returned to church for the church lady pot luck lunch. I have never seen such a tempting spread. And I am grateful that I do not live there, I would surely be 400 pounds. Fried chicken, enchiladas, pot roast, fried okra, broccoli casserole, green chile rice casserole, spaghetti, beef and noodle bake, and myriad of desserts. My vegetable options were iceberg lettuce, tomato and baby carrots, or coleslaw. I think I gained 5 pounds this week - I am terrified to look. But I know that at my service, (knock wood, god forbid and all of that) I want people to eat and laugh and remember the good times. And in the avoiding untimely demise department - I walked early in the mornings on most days, before it got over 80 degrees. I even did some lunges and squats, um, once. But alas, it was no match for the donuts and lasagna that called to me from the kitchen. So I am back to planned meals, regular exercise, and trying to cancel out the damage done last week. So no weigh in today - and more thoughts on that later. I may give up the scale for a while.

3 comments:

Journo June aka MamaBear said...

Family gatherings are definitely a trying time in the eating healthy department! Glad it had the happy moments of good memories. It may sound weird but we did a lot of laughing during the week we were with family for my mom's funeral. But we'd been preparing for it for five months, so we had a lot of time to get ready and remember the good things.

I'd give the scale a wide berth for a while and get back into your healthy habits. Good for you that you did walking during that time!
Path to Health

Hanlie said...

I like the idea of concentrating on what you're doing, instead of what you weigh. Go for it!

Lady Vea said...

I am so glad you had a nice time and celebrated life! I am FROM New Mexico by the way! Where abouts are you traveling partner? I grew up about 60miles north of Toas and went to college in Socorro (about 70miles south of Albuquerque).

Those foods you listed make me so homesick. But skip the scale until you are back into your routine for a while. A little forgiving is wiser than suffering when you KNOW what you did (and for a good darn reason too!) and are back on track. :-)