8.26.2007

So it begins

Welcome to the Trisaratops Lounge. I'm your host, Sara - a woman determined to obliterate 150 pounds - and I have 41 gone so far. The road is long and hard and I am easily tempted to pull over and set a spell with a plate of cheese bread and creme brulee on the side. Driving me forward are the rewards I believe in: a longer and healthier life, a stronger body that can keep up with the munchkins I hope to have one day, and to be honest - looking beautiful and shopping in a "regular" size store. Oh, to be a size 12!

The easiest part so far is the cooking. I love to cook as much as I love to eat, and so I'm working on ways to keep myself satisfied with the pleasure of eating, as well as acheiving my weight loss goals. Adding fiber with veggies and especially beans, is great way to fill up and be healthy.

Summer is probably one of the easier times of year to lose weight. The produce is gorgeous and delicious, the weather is nicer (well, usually - I'm in the Pacific NW, so it can be unreliable) so walking is easier when you know you won't get drenched. And if you're hot you're drinking more water! Hooray! Which is not to say I am never tempted by backyard barbecue fare. Oh, Mr. Cheeseburger and I have a long and sordid love affair. And his cousin, pork ribs, well, a girl's gotta live! But to be able to enjoy my full fat friends - I regulate my breakfast and lunches and snacks.

Here's a favorite lunch recipe of mine:

2 tsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
1 yellow pepper, sedded and chopped
2 zucchini, chopped
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can vegetarian refried beans
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 cup salsa - or more, if you like
.5 cup cheese

Saute the onion in olive oil until translucent. Add zucchini, and saute for 1 minute, add garlic and peppers and saute for 3 minutes. In a large bowl combine sauteed vegetables with rice, beans, salsa and cheese. Voila! If you're not watching carborhydrates, this is a great burrito filling - but I like to eat it just as a rice bowl. It packs up easily to keep in a fridge at work, and I heat it in the microwave. Delish! And you can add whatever you like to it, super adaptable.

I'm off to get some exercise in - have a great week!

No comments: